East Lyme Cemetery Records

   The information contained in this website was taken from Headstone Inscriptions, Town of East Lyme, Connecticut, compiled under the supervision of Charles R. Hale, State Military Necrologist, assisted by Miss Mary H. Babin, Secretary. The inscriptions were copied in 1934, with the support of FERA and the WPA. The names of the individuals who copied them, and the dates on which the work was done, are included at the start of each cemetery list.

   Mr. Hale began his work in 1916, recording veterans’ graves for the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. George S. Godard, State Librarian, asked Hale to assist in locating the graves of veterans of the American Revolution. The Connecticut General Assembly provided funding to expand the project. Under the auspices of the Connecticut State Library, Hale cataloged all Connecticut veterans’ graves up through the first World War. The federal government provided funding to the project in 1934, as part of its jobs program, eventually employing over 80 people in the state. In recognition of his work, Hale was named national chairman of the Committee on Marking Graves of Sons of Civil War Veterans.

   The Hale Collection of Connecticut Cemetery Inscriptions, compiled between 1932 and 1935, covers 2,269 cemeteries throughout the state. Each town’s records are bound individually, and indexed in a single alphabetical file. The records have also been microfilmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, and are available through LDS Family History Centers.

   Wilbur Beckwith, former East Lyme Town Historian, has compiled a list of veterans of the Colonial Wars, French-Indian War, American Revolution, War of 1812, Civil War, and Spanish-American War, who are buried in East Lyme. That list is available at East Lyme Veteran Burials.